When it comes to buying gifts for those celebrating their first holidays, a team of retailers says safety and versatility are key.
This year, to compile the 2007 list of best baby gifts, the Isis Maternity retail team focused on two themes reflecting recent innovations in the children's products market.
The Safe and Sound List aims to provide information about the latest developments in organic and eco-friendly products that help to create healthy and safe environments for young families. The Isis Maternity Holiday Gift List shows off new products that are must-have items for families with infants and young children.
The Safe and Sound List:
1. Stokke Sleepi Crib creates a warm and inviting sleep environment that accommodates every stage of a young child's life, from newborn to school-age and beyond. (www.stokkeusa.com)
2. Ecobaby Organic Baby Mattress has a natural rubber core with organic cotton and pure wool quilted to an organic cotton mattress ticking, which is then wrapped around the core. All Ecobaby Organic mattresses are 100 percent chemical-free and toxin-free while meeting all safety guidelines and CPSC guidelines. (www.ecobaby.com)
3. Essential Nursing Bra Tank with Bamboo by Bravado! Designs has stunning style and a full bra inside. It's stylish enough to wear with a jacket or blazer when going out, yet comfy enough to wear hanging around the house. It can be worn during pregnancy because the fabric of the garment and the bra comfortably stretch, while retaining their shape after washing. The bamboo-blend fabric offers natural antibacterial properties, breathability, and moisture-wicking capabilities in an environmentally friendly, soft material. (www.bravadodesigns.com)
4. Bummis Bamboozle Cloth Diapers consist of four fitted layers of bamboo fabric that is soft and beautiful. Bamboo is a renewable resource with a short growth cycle that is grown without fertilizers or pesticides. (www.bummis.com)
5. Mama Mio provides deluxe skincare products designed to build the skin's elasticity and strength during pregnancy and beyond. The products are ideal for sensitive pregnant skin and use natural, pregnancy- and breastfeeding-safe essential oils and other ingredients. (www.mamamio.com)
The Holiday Gift List
1. Go GaGa Diaper Bag is a great gift for parents who feel the weight of the world on their shoulders, in addition to a heavy diaper bag. This bag distributes its weight with a patented ergonomic strap to keep Mom's or Dad's back healthy, and is designed to easily adapt to needs that change day-to-day. (www.gogagalife.com)
2. The Versatile Dress by Pouch is a maternity dress designed to grow with your changing shape. It's the one dress that can create many looks - halter, strapless, front-wrap, one-shoulder, or Grecian halter and skirt - flattering a woman's changing curves and busy lifestyle. (www.pouchmom.com)
3. Svan Scooter is a toddler ride-on toy with sculpted curves of bent birch wood that provides a safe and sturdy seat for children 18 months and older. Children push the scooter along with their feet, helping them develop a sense of balance, physical fitness and coordination while the abstract shape allows them to use their creativity to imagine riding a dragon, a horse or even a race car. (www.svanusa.com)
4. Coco Lounger by bloom belongs in contemporary living spaces with its iconic form and comfortable nest for babies. It creates a smooth, self-rocking motion on a single-piece frame, provides a cozy, soft-feel comfort seat, and has an adjustable five-point safety harness. (www.bloombaby.com)
5. Photo Mobile turns flash cards, postcards or photographs into a cool urban mobile with the stainless steel Kikkerland mobile kit. The mobile kit is a perfect gift for newborns, and the cards or photos in the mobile are easily changed at the whim of parent or baby. (www.weegallery.com)
About Isis Maternity
Isis Maternity has served more than 20,000 families in the Greater Boston Area through classes, products and private consultations that focus on prenatal, postpartum and early child development needs.
Isis Maternity's retail group, led by Director of Retail Lee Courtemanche, examines hundreds of products at trade shows and through interviews with manufacturers as part of their effort to develop the company's retail centers. Courtemanche and her colleague, Susan Scheele, regularly consult with vendors on design and usability, and provide feedback from parents to manufacturers.
For more information on Isis Maternity, visit www.isismaternity.com or call (781) 429-1500.