Fire broke out on the second floor of 214 Maple St., a residence directly across from the Central Fire Station, at midday today. As firefighters went in the front door, smoke billowed from the roof and flames shot out of second-floor windows on the south side of the dwelling.

Fire broke out on the second floor of 214 Maple St., a residence directly across from the Central Fire Station, at midday today.


As firefighters went in the front door, smoke billowed from the roof and flames shot out of second-floor windows on the south side of the dwelling.


Fire officials said the building had been evacuated and everyone was safe, as of 4 p.m., but the wind was making the fire very difficult to put out.


Fire Chief David Adams said, "It seemed to take off very quickly and with the winds blowing like this it gets everywhere.''


A number of residents of the multi-family building gathered to watch the blaze and firefighters' efforts to extinguish it. Mayor Nancy Stevens was on the scene and said Rosalind Baker, the city's human services director, had been called and would be on the scene shortly.


Three ladder trucks were being used to pour water onto the building.


Derek Silva, who lives in the basement of the building, watched firefighters at work.


"I was downstairs playing video games and someone knocked on the door and told me the house was on fire,'' he said. "It looks like it's going down (toward his basement apartment) and I'm starting to get a little nervous.''