50 years ago
• Several farmers in Redwood and Renville counties were enthusiastic about their experiments with a new crop – pinto beans – and were hopeful enough area farmers would join in to plant the estimated 3,000 acres of pinto beans needed as a minimum to support a pinto bean processing facility in the area.
• Resit “Ray” Serpkenci, the Redwood Falls High School foreign exchange student from Turkey, brought his American host dad, Dr. Robert Kleinart, a three-foot long carved wooden cigarette holder as a gift.
• Walt Disney’s "The Love Bug" was the movie at the Falls Theatre.
• More than a thousand people attended the open house for the Redwood Falls Hospital’s new addition.
• Tom Tiffany, Redwood Falls High School Merit Scholar visiting the Philippines, headed to Austria to be coxswain for the U.S. team in a rowing competition.
• Only 33 people – about 1.5 percent of the city’s eligible voters – turned out to a public meeting in Sleepy Eye for an amendment to the city charter that would permit hiring a city administrator.
25 years ago
• Zytec, which hired a record 53 high-school and college students over the summer, had to scramble to figure out how to keep the manufacturing lines running smoothly when the school year started.
• A study by a Twin Cities architectural firm recommended a $2 million addition to the Redwood Falls Hospital to take into account expected future patient needs.
• A moving crew installed a nearly-finished two-classroom building unit behind St. John Lutheran School to provide additional space for pre-K classes.
• Artisans and archeologists from the Minnesota Historical Society began the first steps toward restoring the old stone warehouse at the Lower Sioux History and Interpretive Center.
10 years ago
• Redwood Falls Special Olympics athletes got to meet with the Vikings up-close-and-personal during the football team’s training camp, getting to talk with and have their photos taken with the pro athletes.
• The Redwood Area Hospital began a new system to protect babies from abduction, attaching an electronic beacon to each baby’s leg.
• Redwood Falls City Attorney Steven Collins took a one-year leave of absence as part of his deployment to Afghanistan as a Judge Advocate General.
• The city of Redwood Falls announced an upcoming new trash and recycling pickup system, with every resident being given a wheeled cart for sidewalk collections.