The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) 2019 construction season has begun. In District 8, which includes Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Lincoln, Lyon, McLeod, Meeker, Murray, Pipestone, Redwood, Renville and Yellow Medicine counties, the 2019 construction program consists of 12 primary projects.
In addition, there is a district wide striping project and two carryover projects from 2018. Information about the projects in southwest Minnesota is available online.
Motorists will find a 2019 construction project map and details about project benefits, costs and traffic impacts on the MnDOT Web site.
The public can also stay informed about statewide projects and other transportation topics by connecting to MnDOT via social media, as well as signing up to receive e-mail updates on larger projects.
The projects which are starting this spring in southwest Minnesota include:
• Highway 4 and Highway 55 – partnering with District 3 for this reconstruction and resurfacing project of Highway 4 from Highway 55 to I-94 in Stearns and Kandiyohi counties. A detour is required.
• Highway 4 – resurfacing of Highway 4 from the east junction of Highway 12 to Highway 55 in Meeker County.
• U.S. Highway 12 – reconstruction of Highway 12 in Litchfield, a two-year project, begins this year with the reconstruction of Fourth Street from Highway 12 to North Donnelly Avenue. A detour is required. U.S. Highway 12 will be open to traffic during 2019. The contract has not yet been awarded.
• U.S. Highway 12 and Highway 40 – construction of a new rail line bypass on the west side of Willmar (known as the Willmar Wye), a two-year project, begins this year. The project includes the realignment of U.S. Highway 12 and the reconstruction of Highway 40, including two new bridges. U.S. Highway 12 will be open to traffic during 2019.
• U.S. Highway 14 – resurfacing of Highway 14 from Fourth Street in Tracy to County Road 7 at Revere, culvert repair and guardrail improvements along the project route and the extension of a right-turn lane at the intersection of County Road 80. Sidewalks, pedestrian ramps and adjacent driveways in Walnut Grove will be upgraded to meet modern Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards. A detour is required.
• Highway 23 – construction of a Reduced Conflict Intersection (J-turn) at the intersection of Highway 23 and Lyon County Road 7 in Marshall. The contract has not yet been awarded.
• Highway 40 – replacement of the bridge (known as the Milan Bridge) over Lac qui Parle Lake west of Milan. A detour is required. The contract has not yet been awarded.
• Highway 67 – replacement of two bridges over Boiling Spring Creek with a single concrete box culvert, one mile north of Echo. A detour is required.
• Highway 68 – replacement of the bridge over Lazarus Creek, three miles west of Canby. A detour is required. The contract has not yet been awarded.
• U.S. Highway 75 and Highway 68 – resurfacing of U.S. Highway 75 from Ivanhoe to Canby. Sidewalks will be upgraded in Canby to meet modern ADA standards.
• Highway 91 – MnDOT is bundling three projects into one on a 45-mile-stretch of Highway 91 in Lyon, Murray and Noble counties to reduce costs. The project includes roadway from the Nobles/Murray County line to Russell in District 8. Bridges and culverts along the project route will be repaired/replaced and sidewalks will be upgraded in Lake Wilson to meet modern ADA standards. A detour is required.
• Highway 119 – partnering with District 4 to resurface Highway 119 from Highway 40 in Lac qui Parle County to Highway 12, north of Appleton. The project excludes the portion of Highway 119 that is within the city of Appleton.
– Photo courtesy of the Minnesota Department of Transportation