The window to file an affidavit of candidacy for state, federal and county offices officially closed this past Tuesday (June 5), and in the Redwood and Renville counties area, there are a few contested races.
However, for the most part, there was just one individual who filed for many of the positions up for election this year.
In Redwood County, the following individuals filed for the open posts:
• For the District 2 county commissioner seat, Jim Salfer filed as a candidate.
• Dennis Groebner filed as a candidate for the open District 3 county commissioner post.
• Jean Price filed for county auditor-treasurer.
• Joyce Anderson filed for county recorder.
• Randy Hanson filed for the open county sheriff position.
• Jenna Peterson filed as a candidate for county attorney.
• The one contested race is for the open supervisor position in Soil and Water Conservation District 1 where Jeff Potter and Patrick Schoffman both filed.
• Edward Carter filed for the open supervisor position in Soil and Water Conservation District 5.
In Renville County, the following individuals filed an affidavit of candidacy for the open positions:
• Bob Fox filed for the open county commissioner seat on District 2.
• A contested race will be held in District 4, as John Stahl and Greg Snow both filed for the open county commissioner position.
• Marc Iverson filed for the county auditor-treasurer position.
• Laurie Abrahamson and John G. Thompson II filed to serve as county recorder.
• Scott Hable filed for the open county sheriff position.
• There will be a contested race for county attorney, as David Torgelson and Laurence Stratton both filed.
• Terrylea Ness and Dean Schroeder filed for the Soil and Water Conservation District supervisor position in District 3.
• Kathryn Kelly filed for the Soil and Water Conservation District supervisor position in District 4.
Additional information regarding these candidates can be found on the Minnesota Secretary of State Web site at www.sos.state.mn.us.
These candidates will be on the ballot in the November general election.
The filing window for local city and school races is set to open later this summer.