The City of Redwood Falls has faced a water main issue along Bridge Street near the Y-intersection, and during its most recent city council meeting took action to address it.

According to Jim Doering, public works project coordinator, the city is fast-tracking a project to replace the water main in that area, with the hope of having it completed prior to the start of the work the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) is scheduled to conduct this year.

During its March 20 meeting, the city council authorized city staff to move forward with the basic plan development, engineering, bidding and construction observation services to complete the water main project and enter into an agreement with Bolton & Menk to accomplish that work.

The work to be conducted by Bolton & Menk is estimated to cost $90,350, with the estimated cost of the whole project at $612,368.

The plan, said Doering would be to install a brand new pipe in that area, and to including casing around the pipe to help prevent settling helping to prolong the life of the pipe in a high-traffic area of the city.

The council was informed that the proposed project is not in the city budget for 2018. 

However, it was determined to be appropriate to move ahead with the project to address the water main break that has occurred at that location.

In other action at its March 20 meeting, the city council:

• Authorized an agreement with Bolton & Menk to provide construction observation services during the work being done on the municipal airport hangar project at a cost estimate of $71.081. Of that amount, 90 percent would be covered by federal funds, with the other 10 percent split equally between the city and the state.

The city share of this portion of the project would be $3,554.

Doering said this portion of the project is part of the overall funding plan, adding the intent is to ensure the project goes according to plans and follows state and federal requirements and standards.