The City of Morton will continue its longstanding tradition of celebrating Independence Day with a variety of activities throughout the day this coming Wednesday.
While many of the events are the same from years past, some of the schedule for those events has changed.
One of the most significant changes for the July 4 celebration in Morton is the start time for the parade, which is now being held beginning at 3 p.m.
The route has also changed, as those who are going to be part of the parade are now going to line up at the Farmward site (the elevators).
Those who are planning to participate in the parade are being asked to pre-register by calling Morton city hall at (507) 697-6912 or by sending an e-mail to Morton4July @gmail.com.
Among the reasons the new Fourth of July planning committee gave for the change in time was that it encourages people to stay in town for some of the other activities and helps to eliminate some of the down time between the previous parade time and other events.
The day actually kicks off with the annual Firecracker Run, which is set to start at 8 a.m. at the Brent Koch Memorial shelter in the city park.
Some of the other July 4 activities include:
• A co-ed volleyball tournament is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. Call (507) 430-4663 to register your team.
• Morton Senior Center Bingo is being played from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m.
• Thomas the Train will be giving rides from 12-3 p.m.
• A bean bag tournament is being held at Koerner’s Korner from 12-6 p.m.
• A classic car show is being held from 12-3 p.m.
• A scavenger hunt starts at 1:30 p.m. with the first clue being posted at the beer tent at that time. All ages are welcome to participate in the scavenger hunt.
• A Little Miss and Little Mister Fourth of July Pageant is being held in the park starting at 2 p.m. Kids dressed in their patriotic best are encouraged to participate and will then be invited to ride on a special float in the parade.
• A vendor fair is being held in the park from 2-8 p.m. Those interested in having a booth are encouraged to contact city hall.
• The annual Morton Fire Department pork chop feed fundraiser is being held in the park from 4-7 p.m.
• The day culminates with the traditional fireworks show starting at dusk.
The Renville County Historical Society is also hosting events during the day, including:
• A veterans round table from 1-3 p.m. in the Heritage building on the museum grounds
• The patriotic sing-along at St. John’s church on the museum grounds starting at 7 p.m.
There is also plenty for the kids to do this Wednesday in Morton, such as:
• Inflatables in the park from 2-8 p.m. Cost is $5 per person with a $15 family limit.
• Face painting and games in the park from 4-6 p.m.
• A kids kickball game at 5 p.m. One does not need to register for this event. Just show up, and those who want to play will be divided up into two teams.
• A pedal pull is going to be held at 7 p.m. Food will be available throughout the day in the park starting at 9 a.m.
To learn more about the events taking place and how to sign up to participate in the activities visit the Morton Fourth of July Facebook Page.
All are welcome to visit Morton this Wednesday to celebrate Independence Day.