Call it the equivalent of fireworks from the ground level.
That is what people are going to see Sept 8-9 at the annual Hot Iron Days celebration in Lamberton. The community event, which is being held Friday night (Sept. 8) and throughout the day Saturday (Sept. 9), offers a unique set of activities, including what is known as the “Sparks Under the Stars” hot iron pour.
That iron pour, which is held Friday night starting at approximately 9:30 p.m. and then again Saturday at 4 p.m., is the highlight of the weekend, as people gather to watch molten iron poured into molds and other objects to create the sparks that bring out the “oohs” and “ahhs” of the crowd.
Hot Iron Days activities actually start Friday at noon when the public has the opportunity to make their own iron mold in the city park from 12-7 p.m.
Also this Friday, the festival events include a free Kubb demonstration in the city park from 7-9 p.m.
The events continue Saturday. They include:
• An “Ageless Iron” display of tractors, cars and other modes of transportation along Douglas Street throughout the day
• The make your own mold sand shop is open from 8-11 a.m. The cost to make a basic mold is $15, with additional costs for larger ones.
• A medallion hunt, with the first clue posted at 8 a.m. Clues will continue to be posted every two hours at the blacksmith’s shop until the medallion is found.
• A sand volleyball tournament starting at 8:30 a.m.
• A 5K run/walk beginning in the city park, with registration at 8:30 a.m. and the race starting at 9 a.m. Cost is $5.
• A craft sale and flea market on Douglas Street from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
• A Kubb tournament starting at 10 a.m. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m.
• Blacksmithing demonstrations in the blacksmith’s shop from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
• Music with Dean Fishel in the city park from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
• A petting zoo and kids games hosted by the Red Rock Central FFA Chapter in the city park from 12-3 p.m.
There are plenty of food options being offered throughout the day Saturday as well.
To learn more about this upcoming event, visit the Lamberton Hot Iron Days Facebook Page.
Everyone is invited to visit Lamberton this Friday and Saturday to celebrate Hot Iron Days.