It’s that time of year again.
The 2017 edition of the Redwood County Fair is scheduled to open this week. From Wednesday through Sunday, the Redwood County fair board has provided a variety of activities for all ages, and everyone is encouraged to come and enjoy all that the fair has to offer.
The fair board and its volunteers have been working in recent weeks to get the fairgrounds in Redwood Falls in good shape for the thousands of visitors who walk through the gates of the fair. Admission to this year’s fair is $7 per day or $20 for the entire fair.
If you just come for the evening events (after 6 p.m. Thursday, Friday or Saturday) the cost to get in is $10. The activity starts Wednesday when open class entries are being accepted.
Those who plan to bring items for open class must bring them between 2 and 8 p.m. that day.
That night from 8-11 p.m. free DJ entertainment is being provided. There is no admission charge to come to the fair Wednesday.
The exhibit hall opens Thursday at 5 p.m., with the midway opening at 6 p.m.
According to Tiffany Hansen, who is a member of the Redwood County fair board, there are 48 vendors and 66 total booths at this year’s fair. Hansen added she is excited to see all that will be available during the fair.
Thursday night’s entertainment includes a concert featuring the T&A Show from 5-8 p.m. followed by Tucker Beathard with special guest 32 Below at 7 p.m.
Thursday night in the grandstand is a new event to the fair – ATV barrel racing. There is no admission charge to the Thursday grandstand event, which starts at 7 p.m.
Daycare day kicks off the Friday activities at 9:30 a.m., and, according to Dillon Kuehn, a member of the Redwood County fair board, there are 326 kids that have registered to participate in that program.
The Friday schedule also includes:
• Market science with the University of Minnesota monarch lab from 12-8 p.m.
• Kids day on the midway with $1 rides available from 1-6:30 p.m.
• A free SMASH home-brew tasting is taking place at 4 p.m.
• The Minnesota Over 60 band is playing from 3 until 4:30 p.m.
• Northland Lumber and Supply and the Redwood Falls Sportsman’s Club are sponsoring a free wood duck house building event from 4-7 p.m. All ages are welcome.
• The Redwood Speedway Dual 150s is the grandstand feature starting at 7 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults, with kids getting in for free. The entertainment Friday also includes a concert by Neal McCoy with special guest HickTown Mafia starting at 8 p.m.
Things kick off Saturday with the baking contest at 10 a.m.
Also on Saturday:
• The Just For Six dancers will perform at 10 a.m.
• The annual Redwood County 4-H livestock auction at 10 a.m.
• A “Paw Patrol” meet and greet is taking place from 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Hansen said four of the characters from the show are going to be available.
• The Century Farms program is being held at 12 p.m.
• A kids’ pedal pull starts at 2 p.m.
• A bean bag tournament is set to start at 2 p.m.
• A comedic hypnotist is performing at 5:30 p.m.
Saturday night in the grandstand is the demolition derby starting at 5 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults and $6 for kids. There are five classes of competition. The evening entertainment features Head East with special guest Sidetracked starting at 8 p.m.
Sunday is faith and family day at the fair, with the Wendinger family offering a faith service starting at 10 a.m. Admission is free into the fair Sunday until 12 p.m.
The Sunday event schedule also includes:
• A pancake breakfast featuring Chris Cakes from 8 a.m. until noon. This is a fundraiser for the Redwood County 4-H program.
• A visit by Mickey and Minnie Mouse from 1-2 p.m.
• A performance by the Red Letter Band starting at 12 p.m.
• Wristband day on the midway from 1-6 p.m. The Redwood Speedway races wrap up the weekend starting at 5:30 p.m. Admission to the races is $10, with those 10 and under getting in for free. There is no fair admission being charged after 5 p.m. Sunday.
A number of daily attractions are also being offered throughout the county fair, including:
• The Strongman
• Xtreme Ball
• A chainsaw artists
• The Animal Fest Exotic Petting Zoo, including the famous Zedonk
• The Famous L.A. Racing Pigs, with shows Thursday and Friday only.
• The Kent Family Magic Circus Show. There is much more also available at the fair, including 4-H displays and shows, as well as open class exhibits.
Find out more details about the events taking place on the Redwood County Fair Web site at www.redwoodcountyfair.com, or visit its Facebook page.