|
Redwood Falls Gazette - Redwood Falls - MN
  • History of city started pre-1864

  • Nine years before Redwood Falls was created, Charles Flandreau, Indian agent at the time, was ordered to build a government mill on the Redwood River at the falls for the Dakota Indians....
    • email print
  • Nine years before Redwood Falls was created, Charles Flandreau, Indian agent at the time, was ordered to build a government mill on the Redwood River at the falls for the Dakota Indians. This mill was constructed shortly after the creation of the Indian reservation which stretched from Fort Ridgley on up to Hawk Creek, which, by the way, is near the confluence of the Yellow Medicine River and the Minnesota River. The government mill was constructed in Spring 1855. The government mill had a dual purpose. The mill was used for sawing raw native timber and for grinding corn for the Indians. The lumber sawed at the mill was used for building houses for the Indians and for government buildings at both the Upper and Lower Sioux Agencies. Charles Flandreau hired three men to build the government mill. They were Eldridge Gerry Pomroy, Alexander Hunter and John Nairn.
    Unfortunately, Alex-ander Hunter was killed Aug. 17, 1862, the first day of the U.S.-Dakota Conflict. John Nairn and family (a wife and three children) narrowly escaped to Fort Ridgely from the Lower Sioux Agency that same fateful day. They fled to the fort, partially in company with Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Reynolds, but somehow in the mass confusion were separated. All seven eventually reached the fort in safety. Later, Nairn and family moved to Woodbury County, Iowa where he died in 1894. Eldridge Gerry Pom-roy died July 6, 1919, in Delhi Township, Red-wood County and was buried in the Redwood Falls Cemetery. E. G. Pomroy was not present at the time of the massacre, but had en-listed for three years in 1861 in Company C, First Regiment Minne-sota Volunteers. Years later, he re-turned to Redwood County and homesteaded 160 acres in Under-wood Township and later moved to Kintire Town-ship and then to Delhi. E. G. Pomroy married Mrs. Jennie (McCorquo-dale) Monroe Dec. 7, 1880 in St. Paul. Mr. and Mrs. Pomroy had one child, Ethel, born Sept. 21, 1884 in Ramsey County. She was married June 9, 1909, in Red-wood County to Arthur Neale, son of Alonzo Neale, and had three children: Eldridge, who was born May 25, 1910, Beatrice, who was born Sept. 28, 1912 and Alma, who was born Oct. 4, 1904.

        calendar