1963—50 years ago
• The police department stated they had a packet of money described as “a considerable sum” with no identification. They said the owner could claim it by describing the amount and the container it was in.
• The fire department answered 45 calls during 1963, with estimated losses coming to $68,370.
• Anders Vevang, a 25-year old Norwegian college ag student, was spending several months in Redwood Falls studying American farming techniques.
• National Guard Captain Robert Budik talked to the Rotary Club about the U.S.’s goals and tactics for the escalating fighting in Vietnam.
• Speaking of Robert Budik, Gazette sports editor John Schneider predicted that in 1964 Budik would shoot a hole-in-one on the ninth green of the Redwood Falls Golf Club — while shooting for the first hole.
1988—25 years ago
• Cristian and Ileana Marin, recent arrivals in Redwood Falls from their native land of Romania, opened their front door one evening to find a Christmas tree and presents awaiting them from an anonymous gifter.
• The Cardinals gymnastics team not only won over Litchfield, but did so with a new school record score of 129.4, nearly three points higher than the previous record.
• Travel Southwest Minnesota, a group formed to encourage tourism, announced it would host bus tours from the Twin Cities through the Redwood Falls area starting the following summer.
• The North Redwood City Council voted to purchase a used water tank, which could triple or quadruple the town’s water use.
• The Redwood Falls City Council approved a motion to see proposals from privately owned ambulance services to start up in town when the fire department gives up the job on Jan. 1, 1990.
2003—10 years ago
• When trying to both eat a piece of pizza and ring a bell for the Salvation Army fundraiser, volunteer Caleb Houdek cautioned future bellringers about not getting confused and shaking the pizza instead.
“Pieces fall off,” he warned.
• The city council and the county board were busy discussing possible tax abatements for a proposed new assisted living facility to be build in Redwood Falls.
• The clinic in Redwood Falls became the first ACMC affiliate to become equipped with computerized radiography, a system where all X-rays and other scans were done entirely on computer, and without film.
• The new, 17,000 square foot Lower Sioux Community Center was completed.
• The weather was warm enough on Dec. 26 that window washers could be out on the sidewalks, working away with buckets of water.