Daktronics is currently looking into expanding one of its manufacturering facilities. The choice currently comes down to two facilities in South Dakota, or the Redwood Falls facility.
To encourage Daktronics to select Redwood Falls, the city council approved steps on Tuesday evening to set into place a tax increment financing plan that would run for the next nine years if the expansion is done here.
Jim Hansen, current project manager at the Redwood Falls Daktronics facility, told the council Daktronics is very happy with their Redwood Falls facility, which has been very successful for the past seven years.
However, Hansen said the facility’s ceilings aren’t high enough to build electronic signs up to 14 feet tall.
Hansen said Daktronics originally planned on adding a building with the proper height in 2008, and some construction has already been done to take that into account.
At this point Daktronics is still considering its options, and the council noted the city will make no definite commitment until a decision is made.
In other city news, the council:
• Approved the voluntary resignation of Redwood Falls Public Library Director Robin Osland. The council approved the library advertising and filling the position.
• Approved a request from the Redwood Falls Public Library to send a grant request to the Minnesota Historical Society to add 111 rolls of microfilmed records to the library’s collection.
• Approved raises in the city’s water, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer service charges.
Water costs will rise approximately four percent, while the other two will rise approximately three percent.
• Approved the purchase of new copy machines for City Hall, the public library, and the police department, for a total cost of #21,508.
• Approved waiving the fine for lawn mowing costs incurred at 719 E. 2nd St. The city originally charged current owner Mark Fuhr for the fine although he didn’t own the property at the time, and the city is still trying to get the previous owner to pay the fine.
• Set the date of the 2014 city organizational meeting (i.e. the first city council meeting of the new year) for Jan. 2, 2014, at 5 p.m. in the council chambers. This meeting replaces the scheduled Jan. 7 city council meeting.
• Approved the final pay estimate for H&R Construction for the “CSAH 31 Guard Rail Project” in the amount of $46,271.
• Approved the following licence renewals:
• On-sale liquor, and Sunday Liquor: Rusty Bucket, LLC, and American Legion Post #38.
• Billiard Table: American Legion Post #38.
• Games of Skill: American Legion Post #38, Pizza Ranch.
• 3.2 On-sale malt liquor: Bridge Street Cuisine (DBA Country Kitchen)
Page 2 of 2 - • Wine: Bridge Street Cuisine (DBA Country Kitchen)
• Solid Waste Hauling (Commercial): Renville Sibley Sanitation.
• Tobacco: Wal-Mart Store, Inc. #1865
• 2.3 Off-sale malt liquor: Wal-Mart Store, Inc. #1865
• Therapeutic Massage: Tammy Tordsen (DBA River Bend Therapeutic Massage).