The Redwood Area Board of education took several personnel actions during its meeting July 22 which are in effect for the 2013-14 school year....
The Redwood Area Board of education took several personnel actions during its meeting July 22 which are in effect for the 2013-14 school year, including:
• Approval of a new job description for the activities director and the creation of a director of community education and community relations position. It then hired Dennis Stoterau as the activities director at a salary of $15,000 and Kelly Lutgen as the director of community education and community relations at a salary of $50,000.
According to Rick Ellingworth, Redwood Area School District superintendent, these changes do not mean additional staff have been hired.
The changes are indicative of a philosophy that believes there are greater opportunities to enhance the community education program. Over the past several years the role of community education director and activities director have been under the same job description. The chang-es clearly delineate them as two separate roles in the district.
The new community education/relations role is more of an administrative one, Ellingworth explained, adding, however the changes in jobs and salaries still remain within the budget for the district. In fact, the 2013-14 budget for the activities director and community education/relations positions is less than it was for the 2012-13 school year – from $98,719 to $93,684.
• Authorized the payment of expenses for one of its educators to earn an English as a Second Language (ESL) certification.
The district has seven students currently enrolled for the 2013-14 school year who would require ESL services, which would require approximately a .25 FTE position. Knowing it would have difficulty finding someone to fill that position, the district opted for something different.
• Approved the employment of Sue Homan as an RVMS fifth grade teacher at a salary of $36,700; Barb Johnson as an RVHS special education teacher at a salary of $45,350 and Ruth Zeise as an RVHS FACS teacher at a salary of $46,000 under the retire/rehire program. The board then approved the official resignation of all three of these veteran teachers effective May 22, 2014.
• Held a discussion regarding negotiations with its employee groups. The board is still waiting for information from the state that would be used to determine its funding for the 2014-15 school year. The board is hoping to have agreements in place with all of the groups in advance of school starting.
• Approved the alternative learning program staff for the fall semester, including Ryan Hiltner, Janet DePuy, Barb Sellevold and the ECFE staff.
• Approved the employment of Andrea Spanovich as the dance team coach at a stipend of $1,616 and Nikki Berry and Shelby Helgeson as fall cheerleading co-coaches at a stipend of $365 each.
• Accepted the resignation of Dennis Stoterau from his position as community education director and Samantha Dhoore from her position as a Reede Gray Special education paraprofessional.
In other action, the school board:
• Adopted a resolution for membership in the Minnesota State High School League.
• Approved membership in the Minnesota School Board Associ-ation at a cost of $4,147 plus a policy service fee of $575.
• Approved membership in the Redwood Area Development Corporation with dues of $100 and the Redwood Area Chamber of Commerce, with dues of $200.