For the past few years, the ACMC/Redwood Area Hospital has sponsored a 5k Run Walk and Kid’s Run.
The annual event was held near the high school, on a course usually used by the track and cross country teams to practice.
However, in an effort to draw more runners this year, hospital and ACMC staff approached the Redwood Falls City Council about moving the event closer to town.
The current plan is for the race, set for July 13, to start in Ramsey Park, near the swayback bridge.
Runners will run up to the west entrance of the park, circle a residential neighborhood on the west side of town, then race back down the park road to the swayback bridge.
The difficulty is that with the new race course, vehicles might present a danger to the runners.
To prevent that, the hospital and ACMC staff requested they be allowed to block off several streets in the western side of town for approximately half an hour, and close the park entrance for about two hours.
The race organizers said they believe they have enough volunteers to handle traffic control, but would still need the city to set up barricades.
After hearing the plan, the council approved allowing the 5k run/walk to use city streets between approximately 9 to 9:30 a.m. on July 13.
In other city news, the council:
• Approved a 2013-2015 Facility Least Agreement between the Redwood Area Community Center and the Redwood Area Hockey Association.
The $60,000 agreement specifies 750 hours of ice time between Oct. 21, 2013-March 9, 2014, and between Oct. 20, 2014-March 15, 2015.
• Approved an Eagle Scout project proposal by Tyler Hagen, who plans to arrange financing and construction for replacing the back side of the Lion’s Shelter at Perk’s Park, as well as landscaping around the shelter.
The project is expected to be completed by autumn of this year.
• Approved an on-sale liquor and Sunday liquor license for the Rusty Bucket, LLC.
The business, closed since last December because of a fire, is tentatively expecting to reopen in July, 2013.
• Approved a cigarette license for Casey’s General Store #3277, which is currently purchasing the SuperAmerica store in Redwood Falls.
The date of the sale is tentatively set for June 18, 2013.
• Approved a request for financial assistance for the renovation of a commercial building located at 210 S. Mill Street, owned by Shon Giernet.
The total cost of the prosed building renovation is $12,937, to be divided equally between a low interest loan from the Downtown Commercial Rehabilitation Revolving Loan Program, a grant, and the remainder to be paid directly by Giernet.
• Approved the 2013 Airport Layout Plan, and its submission to MNDoT Aeronautics and FFA for final approval.
Page 2 of 2 - The plan lays out the council and airport commission’s hope for where they would like to expand and improve the Redwood Falls airport over the next few decades.
• Approved setting the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems annual meeting for Tuesday, June 11, 2013, at 7 p.m. in City Hall.