The Redwood Falls City Council renewed the city’s agreement with Friends of the Animal Shelter for 2013.
In Sept. of 2011, the city council approved an animal services agreement with the Friends of the Animal Shelter.
Under this agreement, the Friends agreed to staff and operate an animal shelter on behalf of the city for the purpose of impounding and boarding animals, as required by Minnesota law.
In exchange for this service, the city pays $30,000 a year to the Friends of the Animal Shelter.
The original agreement expired Dec. 31, 2012. The new agreement extends until the end of 2013 at the same terms.
In other city news, the council:
• Approved a new social media policy for city employees similar to the one used by the Redwood Area Hospital.
The policy specifies rules and guidelines for how city employees may use social media (websites, blogs, chat rooms, etc.) for discussing city business, and for promoting a positive image of the city.
• Approved the public utilities funding the new hydroelectric plant with $2,065,000 in revenue bonds, which would preserve current cash funds and reduce any electrical rate rises.
• Approved the purchase of a 2013 Ford sedan squad car for the police department at a cost of $22,796 from Kohls-Weelborg Ford.
• Following a public meeting on the issue, the council approved a resolution between the city and Ponderosa Properties, LLC, amending a previous tax abatement assistance agreement.
• Approved the appointment by the mayor to the following people to various city commissions:
• Airport Commission: Tim Gilk and Pete U’Ren.
• Housing and Redevelopment Authority: Elaine Just, Herb Brauer, and Phil Johanneck.
• Library Commission: Joyce Johnson, Rick Jorgenson.
• Park and Recreation Commission: Vonnie Roberts and Darcy Josephson.
• Planning Commission: Matt Beavers and Doug Prins.
• Police Commission: Gene Ouren and Matt Beavers.
• Port Authority: Ernie Fiala and Corey Theis.
• Public Utilities Commission: Lewis Louwagie, Jim Scoates, and John T. Buckley.