People have different definitions of when the holiday season officially begins.
For some, it’s with the first snowfall. For others, the first time they hear a Christmas carol on the radio.
For the Redwood area, the holidays officially begin with a bang during the annual Christmas by Candlelight celebration downtown.
A variety of holiday-related activities will start in downtown Redwood Falls on Friday, Nov. 16, from 5-9 p.m.
The Redwood Area Hospital hospice program is sponsoring a Tree of Lights celebration as a visual reminder of departed loved ones.
A tree lighting ceremony will be held in downtown Redwood Falls on Friday, Nov. 16 at 6 p.m.
A second Tree of Lights will shine in downtown Morton at 7 p.m. that night.
In addition to the downtown events, the Redwood Falls Public Library will host a number of family centered activities for the public on Nov. 16 from 5:30 – 8 p.m.
Library events include homemade ice cream and sugar cookies to decorate and eat in the meeting room.
Crafters can make an ornament, work on a Twelve Days of Christmas garland and make bird treats of peanut butter and bird seed.
Five guest readers will read The Night Before Christmas throughout the evening, and families can have a photo taken for a Christmas card.
Live music will enliven the activities throughout the Library.
On Sunday, Nov. 18, the G.F.W.C. Audacia Study Club presents the 2012 Holiday Home and Wine Tour from 12 noon-5 p.m.
The study club’s annual fundraiser includes visits to Fieldstone Vineyards in Redwood Falls, Grandview Valley Winery in Belview, and the home of Wade and Cindy Gronau.
A complete listing of Friday’s Christmas by Candlelight activities downtown include:
• Tour of Trees begins, and continues through the holiday season.
• Downtown luminary-lined streets and strolling carolers.
• Entertainment by the Redwood Valley High School choir.
• Refreshments served at Redwood Alliance Church.
• Pictures with Santa at Shirts Plus 5-8 p.m.
• Boy Scout’s Chili Supper at Minnwest Bank 5:30-7 p.m.
• Family Crafts & Activities at Redwood Falls Public Library 5:30-8 p.m.
• Sleigh Rides 5:30-8:30 p.m. sponsored by Garnette Gardens.
• Redwood Area Hospital Hospice Tree Lighting 6:00 p.m.
• Just for Kix Dancers at Cornerstone Church 6:30 p.m.
Many area businesses will have specials during the Christmas by Candlelight hours, including: Blossom Town, Connie’s Hallmark, Fieldstone Vineyards, Guidepoint Pharmacy, Hair Company, JJ Jeweler’s, Larson’s Home Furnishings, Lights of Home, 2nd Time Around, Sward Kemp Snyder Drug, and Shirts Plus.
Page 2 of 2 - • Register to Win a six foot tall Christmas Tree at Blossom Town 5-9 p.m.
• Lights of Home Holiday Shopping 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
• Tatanka Artists ‘Cards and Small Art Works’ Art Sale at Scenic City Realty from 5 - 9p.m.
• Magic Water Open House 9 a.m - 5 p.m.
• Main Street Cotton Shop Holiday Shopping 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.