For several months, a group of Belview residents have been working to put together a special event, and that event is being held this coming weekend.
In past years, this weekend is when the town would celebrate what is known as Old SOD Days, which is a fundraiser of sorts for the Belview Preservation Society as it strives to maintain its historic landmarks, including the school, Odeon Hall and depot museum (hence the SOD acronym).
What makes this year’s event even more special is the fact that the community is celebrating its 125th anniversary, and that means the traditional celebration is going to be bigger and better than ever.
The City of Belview was established with the certification of a post office in 1887, and over the years the town has had a rich history not only in the town itself but in the people who have called Bel-view their home.
Those people are going to be celebrating in a variety of ways this Friday, Saturday and Sunday, such as:
• An all school reunion is taking place Friday from 5-8 p.m. at the Belview Learning Center, a bonfire and pep fest follow at 8 p.m.
• A bean bag tournament is being held Friday night starting at 7 p.m. This tournament is limited to the first 32 teams.
• Weather permitting, hot air balloon demonstrations are going to take place Saturday. Times are still being determined.
• The Heart of the Prairie 2K/5K run and walk event starts at 10 a.m. Those who plan to run may register starting Saturday morning at 7:30 a.m. and continuing through 9:30 a.m.
• The annual Show and Shine car and motorcycle display is taking place Saturday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
• The annual softball tournament is taking place throughout the day Saturday.
• A sidewalk art contest is being held on Main Street starting at 10:30 a.m. There are cash prizes for the contest winners.
• Old West Re-Enactments are taking place from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. by the Old West Society of Minnesota.
• At 11 a.m. at the train depot a presentation by a James J. Hill re-enactor is going to be held talking about the history of the railroad in the state.
• A medallion hunt is taking place from 12-4 p.m. with clues posted every half an hour.
• A horseshoe tournament is taking place Saturday from 12:30 until 3 p.m.
• The annual Rolling Prairie Country Music Show is being held at the Odeon Hall at 1 and 3:30 p.m. Admission is $5, with kids 12 and under in for $3.
• Throughout the weekend, the depot museum, Gimmestad Land Office, Odeon Hall and school house are going to be open for tours.
Page 2 of 2 - • Kids games, pony rides and a petting zoo are being offered from 1-4 p.m.
• A square dance demonstration is taking place at 5 p.m.
• A street dance featuring HickTown Mafia is being held from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. Admission is free.
• A fireworks display is going to be held Saturday night starting at 8:30 p.m.
• A Chris’ Cakes flying pancakes breakfast is being held Sunday morning from 8-11 a.m.
• A kiddie bike parade is being held at 12:30 p.m., followed by the grand parade at 1 p.m.
The public is invited to travel to Belview to help celebrate its quasquicentennial.